Welcome to the National Coalition of Alternative Community Schools' website. Through our new website initiative we hope to reconnect member schools.
Our mission is to unite and organize a grassroots movement of learners and learning communities dedicated to participant control, liberation from all forms of oppression, and the pursuit of freedom.
The National Coalition of Alternative Community Schools is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit educational organization. Since 1978, the Coalition has supported the work of students, parents, teachers and others in the field of alternative education, while informing the general public about its benefits and successes.
The NCACS represents:
- Independent (private) alternative schools and programs
- Government (public) alternative schools and programs
- Alternative colleges and universities
- Home educating parents and students
- Experiential and adventure-oriented programs
- Learning centers and travelling schools
- Individuals and life long learners
- Cultural centers and intentional communities
- Publishers and researchers focused on alternative education topics
Its main goals are:
- To connect members across the United States and around the world through the NCACS' site on the World Wide Web
- To offer up-to-date and accurate information about the Coalition's member programs to students, parents, teachers and researchers our online directory
- To advocate for member programs and individuals and to support educational change
- To inform the public about alternative programs with a proven record of success
- To facilitate academic, cultural, and social exchanges between members via the NCACS' annual National Conference, Regional Conferences, and student, staff, and school exchanges or visits
The National Coalition of Alternative Community Schools is organized and operated exclusively for educational purposes as described in Section 501( C )( 3 ) of the Internal Revenue Code.